Nancy K. Mendel
110 Whitney Avenue
New Haven, CT 06510
Phone: (203) 772-4400 ext 305
Fax: (203) 772-2763
Nancy Mendel has been practicing environmental law for over twenty years, counseling private and public sector clients in transactional, permitting, compliance and enforcement matters in all areas of environmental law. With a focus on brownfield redevelopment, she advises clients on corporate and real estate due diligence, including permitting, environmental insurance, financing, liability and risk assessments, site investigations and remediation. She represents clients regularly in front of Connecticut Department of Energy & Environmental Protection and the US Environmental Protection Agency.
Nancy has been ranked as a leader in the field of CT Environmental Law in Chambers USA Guide since 2009 and a Connecticut Super Lawyer in Environmental Law since 2012. (http://www.superlawyers.com/connecticut/selection_details.html) Her most noteworthy projects include serving as environmental counsel to the New Haven Public Schools Citywide Construction Program, a 12 year, 44 site, $1.15 billion rebuilding effort and to Cities of New Haven and West Haven in their respective Municipal Development Plans involving the recapture and redevelopment of multiple brownfield industrial sites; and serving as overall lead counsel for an over $20 million new green technology chemical manufacturing facility including all permitting, real estate, facility construction, land use approvals and multi tranche private and public financing needs. Nancy is proud to have been part of the original group of drafters of Connecticut’s landmark state liability relief Brownfields Revitalization and Remediation Act providing first of its kind in the nation state liability relief for Brownfield developers.
Ms. Mendel’s clients include individuals, law firms, environmental consulting firms, developers, asset management companies, lenders, manufacturers, closely held businesses, municipalities, non-profit agencies, quasi-governmental agencies, big box retailers and Fortune 500 companies.
- Diploma of Collegial Studies in Biological Studies, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada (1973)
- Diplome d'Etat de Kinesitherapie (Physical Therapy) with Honors, Valedictorian, Universite de Grenoble, Faculte de Medecine, Grenoble, France (1978)
- BLS in Economics, magna cum laude, Yale University (1989)
- JD with Honors, University of Connecticut School of Law (1992)
- State of Connecticut
- US District Court of Connecticut
- Connecticut Bar Association
- Connecticut Bar Association, Past Chair, Environmental Law Section
- New Haven County Bar Association, Past Chair, Environment Law and Land Use Section;
- Environmental Professionals' Organization of Connecticut (EPOC), Associate Member
- Society of Women Environmental Professionals (SWEP) – Connecticut Chapter Member
- Connecticut Business and Industry Association (CBIA) – Environmental Policy Council, Member
- Connecticut Fund for the Environment, Legal Advisory Board